Weekends….where the living is easy! Especially when your dear husband makes you breakfast.
Nothing like breaking paleo to eat potatoes! It’s allowed….every once in a while 🙂
Love the american version of hash browns. Quite the difference from our processed looking hash browns ! Nothing deep fried here! An Australians take on American hash browns! All served in one pan!
AMERICAN BREAKFAST POTATOES
served with Jalapeno Kransky’s, good quality bacon and a fried egg.
- 4 medium potatoes, chopped into cubes and parboiled
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped into cubes
- 2 lengths of shallots
- good quality olive oil, a couple of lugs – probably about 2 tablesspoons
- 2 tablespoons good quality butter – danish or cultured
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon (or double if you love it) smoke paprika
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce
Using a fry pan (or cast iron pan) put your butter and olive oil. (Using both means the butter doesn’t burn)
In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika. Put aside.
Add your parboiled potatoes and fry until slightly crispy. (To get the potatoes crispy I tend to not play with them and leave them on one side the longest and then turn. That way that one side will always be nice and crispy soaking up the initial butter/oil goodness) Add shallots and capsicums. Keep cooking on the stove top. Add more butter if needed if looks like sticks. Add your paprika mix to the pan and add your Tabasco. Stir gently.
Cook a little longer if you want nice and crispy but I find by now – its ready to go! Enjoy!
Serve with some crispy bacon, fried egg and some kransky’s for the perfect breakfast fry up!